Saturday, March 04, 2006

In the ghetto

This blog has a self-destruct button.

I want to point that out right off the bat.

Like all the blogs on blogger, in the first tab of the "settings" there is a dark blue button that says "delete this blog." If I start to feel like it's silly for me to be having two separate blogs, then this one will be nuked.

So why am I doing this?

It all started with my other blog. I decided that I wanted to try having a blog for a couple of reasons:
  1. In my life, I have accumulated a lot of things. I decided that it would be interesting to talk about them someplace.
  2. I enjoy poking around and discovering things. Answers to questions that I didn't know anyone wanted to have asked.
  3. I wanted to have a place where I could pass along news and information that interests me to a venue that I thought would find it of value.
I've discussed a wide number of things on my blog, from wine to kangaroo meat, from the history of Cricket to Aquaman. There also a number of almost posts - things that I have held back on:

A post on an underground city in Moldavia is still sitting in the queue, waiting to be completed - which I am starting to suspect it never will. Reviews of CD's by folks as diverse as Al Stewart and The Boomtown Rats are waiting for my attention as well. A post on the new (then upcoming) Harry Potter movie was posted and then deleted moments later, as I felt that it really was saying nothing that hadn't already been said all over.

The one thing that seems to happen is my wanting to say something about Doctor Who, and then I don't because I don't want that one subject to start to dominate the focus of the blog.

So here we are - my first spin-off.

I have some misgivings about doing this - in some ways it's almost like I'm banishing a part of my life into some dark alley, like I'm ashamed of it. But in another way I'm getting a bit of breathing space.

I could use a bit of that.

No comments: